Written by Super User
Category: The ERA Regulation (EU) 2016/796
Created: 14 February 2019
Regulation 2016/796 extends the mandate and tasks of the ERA in line with the scope of Directive 2016/797 (Interoperability Directive) and Directive 2016/798 (Safety Directive). De jure the Agency becomes an authority responsible for issuing authorisations for the placing on the market of railway vehicles and vehicle types, for issuing single safety certificates for railway undertakings in the European Union and for granting ERTMS trackside approval. With this new Regulation the Agency has become the ERTMS system authority:
- This Regulation establishes a European Union Agency for Railways (‘the Agency’).
- This Regulation provides for:
- the establishment and tasks of the Agency;
- the tasks of the Member States in the context of this Regulation.
- This Regulation supports the establishment of the single European railway area, and in particular the objectives relating to:
- interoperability within the Union rail system provided for in Directive (EU) 2016/797;
- safety of the Union rail system provided for in Directive (EU) 2016/798;
- the certification of train drivers provided for in Directive 2007/59/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council.